Come on a journey of inspiration & adventure while renovate & restore a beautiful Victorian home 'St Elmo' in the picturesque Hunter Valley, Australia & laugh at a few of our family adventures along the way.




Saturday, June 26, 2010

Have you got a basement?

Have you got a basement at your house?
In my dream house plan we do have a downstairs area, that, could almost be classed as a basement really.
It will open at one end which will be the garage, providing enough space to park 2 cars. It will also open at the back of the house, which is the only place where we will have windows, the rest will be underground.


Finished Basement modern family room


We want to use part of the area for the kids activity room, so it needs to house a TV & desk area for computers, some shelving for books & toy storage.There will be a small bathroom down here as well.


Basement rec room media room


We will also have a sofa bed here for guests to sleep on as we won't be having a guest bedroom.


Basement Remodeling Projects executed by our TBF Dealers. eclectic



Basement Remodeling Projects executed by our TBF Dealers. eclectic


This is how I intend to use the rest of my basement space. I love owning my own exercise equipment & it gets used by my teenage daughters as well as myself (when Im not to busy blogging).
The challenge will be incorporating all of these uses into this space & still making it visually appealing.I would like to make it a relaxed & fun space as upstairs will have more of a formal feel to it!

I will be trying to create zones without blocking the natural light, seen as though we only have windows at one end of the room.
 There will obviously be a wall to close the garage off from this area.

Recreational Room contemporary media room


I'm sure this is what my dream guy would LIKE to see in the basement!!!

Ryan Associates - New Homes - Northern California Residence mediterranean staircase


Doesn't this cute door just make you want to take a peak inside....

Leschi traditional family room


There is nothing like a window seat to add a feeling of cosiness.

The basement or downstairs area is all stuff that we will be completing after we move in, rather than paying our builder, as it adds to much onto the cost of the house. I am glad about this as I am a very visual person & feel I am going to need to see this area before I can design a decent layout for the furniture & gym equipment.

If you have any advice, ideas or images feel free to send them my way, I will be starting with a brick shell, plumbing for a bathroom & a stair case, so anything is possible.

Cheers
Trish xx

All images via Houzz

6 comments:

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

Hi Trish, If I could design my dream house, the basement would have high ceilings. I know this would cost a bit more, but it really helps it to feel less . . . "basment-y".

Warmly, Michelle

Ange said...

If I had a basement...I'd store all my project furniture in there so my husband could park his car in the garage...oh well, can't have everything I guess.
Angex

Dream House Trish said...

Thanks for that advice Michelle, it was on our original plan but we have had to bring the ceiling back to normal height to meet our budget....Im not liking that budget word!!!

Jane (aka the girl in the brick house) said...

We won't be having a basement but I can see how much fun you could have in one with gym equipment, a nook for projects, a guest area etc! Looking forward to seeing your project evolve.

Jenny said...

Hi Trish, I will be posting about our rumpus area tomorrow so you are welcome to have a look. My only regret about the area is that it is a bit dark so we are trying to bring in more natural light wherever possible. E.g the front door relocation and we will also be enclosing the courtyard to let in more light and removing the internal wall... etc... Lots to think about and ponder...

alicia said...

WOW!! These pics are very inspirational. Wish I could scrap mine and start over. lol. Love this. We have a weight area and a pool table in the basement, but it's not looking that great.

AddThis Smart Layers