Come on a journey of inspiration & adventure while renovate & restore a beautiful Victorian home 'St Elmo' in the picturesque Hunter Valley, Australia & laugh at a few of our family adventures along the way.




Sunday, July 18, 2010

Dining Dilema


I was in one of my favourite stores on the weekend, 1825 interiors. & I fell in love with this gorgeous chair.
I have been walking around scratching my head, trying to work out how & where I could fit this into my dream home .
Alexander Chair $249.00
They also have another similar chair with a more open style weave called a "Löve" chair & its in a darker, richer brown,  but I couldn't find a picture of it!

Then I purchased my all time favourite mag "Home Beautiful", & there it was...the perfect inspiration pic!!!


For me this house just says it all, they have the same colour scheme I have chosen for my dream house, inside & out, the same style of kitchen I am opting to have installed. You just have to adore Shaker style cabinets & subway tiles in a kitchen ,& there they are, those lovely chairs flanking the family dinner table.
Perhaps its destiny!!!!

I am having tile floors rather than timber, thanks to the evil budget, but I'm sure tiles will look fantastic.



Now I will apologize for the quality of my photography, but this is my current table,it seats eight & I think it would be nice with 3 Alexander chairs each side.The table is about 6yrs old & in great shape, I really love it, so, wont be replacing it anytime soon.


Every where you go timber furniture has a different name for the stain, but I guess it is close to a maple stain...


I have wanted to change out these chairs for a while, but never knew what style I was looking for. There is also the budget factor, how do you convince your dream guy that you would like to replace these perfectly good, "matching chairs", with something new, he would much rather buy a boat.... & don't forget the kid factor, they do drop food on these chairs everyday!


Does anyone have chairs like this at the family dinner table & do they stand up to the wear & tear of children?
I guess the most important question is...

Would they look okay with my table?

Please , my stylish friends, what do you think, should I add these babies to my ever growing wish list, I would of course throw in a few matching baskets to link the style of the chairs to the rest of the room...
Some style advice PLEEEEASE !!

9 comments:

Megandvd@Beauty in the Attempt said...

Great inspiration picture in the magazine. I am such a lover of wicker...I have had wicker dining chairs since college. Oh how I wish I had taken pictures! I actually mixed 2 ladderback chairs with to wicker chairs...and it looked perfect!

Right now we have wicker chairs (different ones) at our dining table. I may have a pic amid my blog for kitchen transformation. They have held up great with my little man.

My biggest thing is thinking about changing them...key word: thinking.

Cheers~
e

Unknown said...

I LOVE that house in HB they have gorgeous things throughout don't they! I have wicker dining chairs and they have been great, we've had them for about 5years now and they still look pretty new. Our cat likes to scratch his claws on them and the wicker doesn't break.

I love those chairs and looked at that one for our deck. I think it's the same store as Recollections which we have one at Pymble as it's the same price etc.

My only thing about having those chairs as dining room chairs is that with the chunky sides and arm rests it could feel a bit cumbersome when getting in and out of the table. But otherwise I say go for it!

Jxx

Anonymous said...

Hey Trish,
Hope you are having a fabulous weekend!
I love the look of those wicker chairs at the dining table....I am sure that they would look just devine with your table...Go on take the plunge & get them!
I love the look of old farmhouse tables with these sorts of cane chairs with them, always looks very inviting.
I have two big cane chairs that I have in my breakfast area, they are nice & solid & really comfy.
Sarah

Tara said...

Hi Trish,NO question about it, the chairs are a must have ...Just tell your hubby how comfy they would be to relax in after a fabulous dinner together..Style, comfort and cane...Gorgeous..

Life in the Country Lane said...

I have the same dilemma Trish. My current chairs are the same as what you have, and how to convince the rest of them! and the budget to replace with what you love..Maybe you could start off with two at the ends, as a mix would look great - and its a gradual convincing!! I love the wicker, so go with what makes you feel good.
Rebecca x

Laura said...

Hi gorgeous trish,
I honestly think they will look really fab with that table; but I think they would go with almost anything!! Also, anything I have had in wicker has been very withstanding on wear and tear so long as it doesnt get left out in the sun. Even naughty little kiddies cant do much damage!! (Im not suggesting yours are naughty, but in the extreme case!!) Cool price too - these days!!! hope you had a loverly weekend!
lauraxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Trish,
I love the chair you have found. Maybe you could use 2 of them at each end of your table rather than the whole way round.(good for the budget!) With the arms they may look too cluttered side by side the whole way round the table? Also, make sure the height of the chair and table are compatible. You want to be able to slide the chair under the table and sit at the right height too. If your chairs don't slide under you will need heaps more room around your table. Keep us posted on what you decide.
X Briohny.

Anonymous said...

I found you from BlogFrog,Now I'm follow you,Thank you for sharing nice blog,

Please follow back at;

http://beonefineday.blogspot.com/

http://theblogfrog.com/1233755

Have a nice day.

Nan

Kerry said...

I love those chairs with a capital L! The dream man must as well...surely! And thank him for my new phrase...no mess, no progress...love it!

AddThis Smart Layers