Come on a journey of inspiration & adventure while renovate & restore a beautiful Victorian home 'St Elmo' in the picturesque Hunter Valley, Australia & laugh at a few of our family adventures along the way.




Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Fabulous floor tiles

When we eventually build the dream house we will most likely be having tile floors, I really would like timber, but it works out more expensive than tiles....depending on the tile you use of course!


source Flutter Flutter

I love the colour & the pattern they have used to lay these tiles, but I am guessing they are probably travertine, which is also out of my budget.....

Source Greige

I'm sure I will be able to find something that looks similar in either porcelain or ceramic.I know I will definitely be able to achieve the look colour wise with something less expensive.

Source Conspicuous Style

But then I guess I will be pushing the labour costs up by going for a more technical lay out,but it is certainly worth looking into.


It really is challenging trying to create the look you love with a budget, I appear to always be drawn to the most expensive things.
When the dream guy & I go looking at house things the conversation usually goes like this...
Me " Ooh I like that!"
Dream guy "Of course you do, its the dearest one there!"

What can I say... Lucky dreaming is free!!!

So, do you have any fabulous advice for me on floor tiling, its always greatly appreciated.

CHEERS
Trish xxx



11 comments:

B is building a house said...

I too love travertine. I wanted it in all our wet areas. But it was too expensive and I didn't want the maintenance hassles that come with travertine... All the sealing, staining etc. So we went with a travertine look porcelain tiles. They are rectified and vitrified and didn't cost the bomb. And the best thing is they are easy to maintain. Win-win :)

Good luck.

B

Darkbyte said...

Its surprising once you add up the labor and material costs of tiles vs wood.

Wood would have been a lot cheaper for us, but not practical with two furballs.

The approximate installation cost for rectified large format polished porcelain was $80-90 per square meter.

So you never know, fancy wood may be closer to your budget than you think!

Jane said...

Oh Trish. I have no idea about tiling. I'll be following your decision making with interest! J x

Unknown said...

I think building and decorating on a budget is so much more challenging that if you had unlimited funds. I know you will have a fabulous house when it is finished and you will appreciate it all the more because of all of the research and creativity you put into it. xx

Ez said...

Sounds a little bit like when I say to your dream guy "ooh I like that" and he says "of course you do! Your Tricia's sister!" hehehe

Beautiful House said...

Your home will be beautiful Trish, keep looking for your tiles to fit your budget with the look you want, you will find them.x

Beautiful House said...

Your home will be beautiful Trish, keep looking for your tiles to fit your budget with the look you want, you will find them.x

Unknown said...

Hi Trish
When you find some tiles you like, can you please let me know as I also want the same budget friendly tiles!

KL said...

Advice? Yes; shop around! I found some 'French pattern' travertine, the style that you pictured in the last pic (you order it that way, it is not more expensive than other formats) for AUD $52 a square metre. Gorgeous! It was from a tile auction house but unfortunately they were unable to supply the large quantity we required. They had 300 sq m only - enough for most homes though! I'm still 'on the hunt' but it's definitely do-able! I make savings in other areas to compensate big ticket WOW factor items. (300 x 600 matt rectified edge wall tiles @ $15 sq m for example)
x KL
x KL

Anonymous said...

If you want to keep costs down definately go with a ceramic tile but get a rectified edge for the stone look. Have you looked into floating floors? Sometimes they can be a similar price to tiles by the time you pay for installation.

Love these inspiration pics though! xx

Anna (My Design Ethos)

Rowantree Design said...

Hi Trish, I love the travertine. I know a very good supplier and you wont believe his prices. We have just completed our outdoor spaces and it looks divine. Email me if you wold like the deets. I love dreaming, and thank goodness we can, no matter what we have we always dream of better.. x Roberta

AddThis Smart Layers