Come on a journey of inspiration & adventure while renovate & restore a beautiful Victorian home 'St Elmo' in the picturesque Hunter Valley, Australia & laugh at a few of our family adventures along the way.




Saturday, July 3, 2010

Stylish storage

I love storage space....
Whilst I am still in the planning stages of my Dream house I have tried to incorporate storage where ever possible, but its also nice to have some functional yet stylish furnishings that add a little character.
I really love the use of travel style trunks, old & new, as decorator items. Not only do they make a great style statement but they are fabulous for storing all sorts of goodies...


A paddington perspective

I really do love the metallic finished trunks, but I think I would be forever cleaning them with 4 kids leaving their fingerprints behind...

Coco Republic

This is just pure glamour...


I love them as a coffee table, a great place to put spare cushions for a change of season colour scheme...

Decor Pad

or as a side table, storing a spare blanket for those chilly nights....



Vintage leather tends to add a more masculine feel to a room...


a lovely accent piece to accompany a chaise lounge...


Nibs blog



Williams-Sonoma home

Table tonic


The world according to Jessica Claire

I really do love the look of the Lucite trunks, but you would need to be very conscious of what you placed inside, according to the look you where trying to achieve. I think I would feel the need to create a display in here, or leave it empty,  rather than just storage. Perhaps a collection pretty bottles or candles, what would you do?


Front Entry Hall eclectic entry

A nice addition to a front entry hall

Klopf Architecture - Pass-Through traditional living room

A very cute side table...

Tomar Lampert Associates - Showhouse Portfolio eclectic family room


I love the use of the two different sizes & Styles as lamp tables, this room has a rather eclectic look but it still seems to work

Anne Forell Architecture traditional living room

I love this old world treasure chest...

Bridge Design Studio traditional bedroom

This one adds a relaxed rustic feel to an otherwise more formal style...

HIGH-STYLE CLOSET eclectic closet
 house beautiful.

Or a little extra storage in a very funky walk in robe.

As you can see the storage trunk comes in so many sizes & styles & can be made from so many different materials.
They make a fabulous addition if you live in a small space & storage is critical!

 Do you have a storage trunk,or any plans to invest in one?

 There are so many outlets or online stores that stock them , the hardest part is deciding on how much you really want to spend, do you pick one up from a thrift store that is full of character & has an interesting story or do you go top of the range for a little extra pizazz??
I realized when I started writing this post that I am a bit of a collector of storage trunks, perhaps I should take a few snaps of mine to show you them, we have 4 all up & they are used for storing all sorts of things like toys, office supplies & decorator items!!!


8 comments:

Ez said...

Absolutely LOVE the trunks in pictures 3 & 6!!

Laura said...

You definently found some beautiful trunks trish! Would be hard to choose just one!
Have a great weekend and yay , holidays!!!
Laura

Kerri - Driftwood Interiors said...

Love trunks, they're such a great choice for storage and good looks. My dream is to stumble across a vintage LV trunk at a garage sale one day...how good would that be? Maybe you could opt for a mix of vintage and top-shelf, to mix things up a bit? Oh, and would love to see the pics of yours too! K xx

Kerry said...

Some beautiful choices there Trish. I laughed when I read about the finger prints on the metallic ones. Oh yeah, that might be a slight problem!

Simone - honeyandfizz said...

Loved this post! I had never seen the lucite ones before:)

Ange said...

Wow Trish. This is amazing collection of trunk images. What a great reference post.
I need as many storage options as I can get and one of these would be great (budget permitting!).
Angex

Paper Tree Studio said...

Love storage trunks ... whenever I find one they are a bit outside my budget - I always find the most expensive of coarse. Never seen the lucite trunk before but I would probably end up putting my interiors books inside. Hope your having a great weekend. Michelle

Adriel Booker said...

i've never had a storage trunk... but always thought that they are something that grown-ups have in their homes. (and i mean that in the best possible way.) i think one day when i find one that i really like that fits with my decorating style i will buy it as a right of passage. seeing as i'm already in my 30's... i wonder when i will become that grown-up with a trunk? :)

AddThis Smart Layers