Come on a journey of inspiration & adventure while renovate & restore a beautiful Victorian home 'St Elmo' in the picturesque Hunter Valley, Australia & laugh at a few of our family adventures along the way.




Friday, September 10, 2010

What can you do with Blue?

Some designers & colour consultants recommend that you take a peek into a clients wardrobe to get an idea of the colours they are drawn to, so, I thought I would assess my own  wardrobe to find my style.

As it turns out, I believe this experiment actually DOES reveal the whole colour story!!!
If you walk around my home you will see warm whites, creams, white, black, timber, silver & a dark  blue lounge.
Now peek into my wardrobe & you will see lots of black, varying shades of grey, white, a few brown things, a spattering if red & once again, blue...
As a child my favourite colour was blue...

Aaah! My blue lounge...
We have had this lounge for about 7yrs now, so style wise it is rather unattractive, but it is still in fantastic condition. We will use it in the kids activity room in our next house because it is easy to clean & very robust. Once they are older we will replace it with something a little more stylish
Does everyone with kids or pets, have that piece of furniture they would love to replace, but know its not worth it until the kids have been house trained ?
 
This was my  bedroom in my last house. When we first purchased this house I thought the carpet was fantastic & I have to admit it was great for hiding stains from the kids spills, but, I tired of it very quickly & found myself dreaming of something much lighter & a lot more neutral!!!
It became rather limiting when it came to decorating choices, dictating the colourscheme.


This was my lounge area, no TV & no colour...
Unfortunately I never got to finish decorating so I never had any art on the walls & I would have like some patterned cushions to soften the look.

I have also learnt that matching everything perfectly is why I could never get it to feel right. We had made the decision to move just after I started studying interior design so there was no point in spending anymore money decorating this one.

I really love my square dining table & I am torn between painting my next dining room in a warm white, you know the very safe & usual Trish colour, or should I step out of the box & go for something rich & dark, I do love the darker warm Grey's Or should I call it a dark greige?

This is definitely one of my most favourite dining room images floating around blog world of late!
I love the timber with the grey, its just a matter of finding the perfect shade to go with my chairs. Any suggestions appreciated!
So I guess what I am trying to say is as much as I love blue I think I would like to try adding in something a little different, perhaps to give my current neutral furnishings a bit of a lift!

How ever, I thought I should apologize for exposing you to  my dull decorating snaps by showing you some FABULOUS ways some stylish folk have used blue in their homes... 

dark blue and white eclectic entry

White is just a magical colour, no matter what you put it with, white always seems to make everything around it look spectacular.
Austin Patterson Disston Architects traditional living room

I love this room, especially the way the piping really gives the white couch a lift, not particularly kid friendly though !
Presidio Heights Residence traditional

Love the mix of stripes & mosaics in this bathroom

Image via A Tranquil Townhouse

A fabulous example of how to mix up patterns in a room & still have a fresh  & inviting space.
This is a skill I would love to master!

source unknown

This one hasn't only used pattern to add interest but also several shades of blue, I'm feeling inspired to decorate!!!


I really do love this basement!!

image via Apartment Therapy

Art is definitely one of my biggest decorating challenges, which explains why my walls always end up bare. I think the right art really adds the warm homely finish we all aspire to achieve when decorating.
 I just don't think I have an eye for it!

I am open to suggestion on this one!

Image via Willow Decor

I love this very masculine looking room, I think it would be lovely to sleep here & would also make a great space for a teenage boy or beach house!


The green rug really sets this bedroom off perfectly
. Very inviting...

This lounge has several of my favourite decorating elements
I dream of owning a tufted ottoman one day...
A striped rug is always very striking no matter what room you place them in...
I love the use of several patterns & textures, creating lots of interest in a very monotone colour scheme.
I think this lounge area screams WELCOME, come sit & relax...
What do you think?

CHEERS
Trish xxx

9 comments:

Ez said...

Let me just add that that lounge should not be disposed of just because it is sooooooo comfy!! ;-)

MrsKT said...

I am heading off to check out my wardrobe now Trish, you have me thinking about whether my wardrobe reflects my colour choices!!

Enjoy your weekend.


Katena :)

Kerry said...

Hi Trish, thanks for your lovely comment earlier :) It was funning scrolling through these images and seeing my friend's house there! As for decorating in line with your wardrobe...not here I'm afraid. My wardrobe is almost entirely black and white but the house is full of colour (except for my bedroom which is black, white and pink) so not sure what that means!!

GoldenValley50 said...

Hi Trish, I waited 16 years to replace my old sofa whilst my children were growing up. It certainly "owed" me nothing when the time finally came! Like you, I have struggled with the idea of mixing and matching however I think I am getting slightly better at it. My new sofa is a cream fabric 3 seater with large plump cushions. I then had my 2 single couches recovered in a striking red patterned fabric. The walls are neutral and I have added artwork with splashes of red. I'm pretty happy with what I have achieved although if someone would have told me 3 years ago that I would be using red in my decorating - I wouldn't have believed it. Thanks for continuing to inspire me! :)Sharyne

Signe said...

I don’t have anything blue in my apartment except in the bathroom, but I do enjoy it when I see it like this.

Have a lovely weekend :)

the old boathouse said...

I like blue but don't have much blue in my home at all...lots of red, greens browns and white....love your pics and fun to look back at homes we have lived in isn't it and see how our tastes change, cheers katherine

Anonymous said...

Hi Trish - my friend Kerry at Tranquil Townhouse directed me to your blog because the picture you used from her blog is my house! I like to have neutral colours on the walls, although in my last house I did have a red wall up the stairs and it was sensational. At Tourjours Libre (Allways free) I've used Dulux Hogs Bristle half strength on walls and white ceilings, doors etc as a warm neutral. I have been collecting paintings over the years from artists from the Eurobodalla area. I determined about 8 years ago to start collecting and at first my 'eye' was very conservative. My confidence has grown as my 'eye' has developed, thanks a lot to Kerry and other artistic friends who have helped. All the best with the new house.

Jenny said...

Well you are on a posting roll with colours! Blue is a favourite of mine but doesn't reflect my wardrobe? What does that mean? ;-)

Anonymous said...

I am happy to find your extraordinary way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and carry out the concept. Thank you for the post.

AddThis Smart Layers