Come on a journey of inspiration & adventure while renovate & restore a beautiful Victorian home 'St Elmo' in the picturesque Hunter Valley, Australia & laugh at a few of our family adventures along the way.




Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A chilly Date

Mydream guy & I like to get out at least once a month for an evening without the kids.
I like to call it date night!!
Most of the time we go out for a lovely dinner & often end up finishing the evening off by heading up to the shed on our block of land, lighting a fire in the chiminea & having a few drinks. Its always very peaceful & a good chance to chat, uninterrupted!!!


This time we decided to go to Stockton Beach & as you can see, it was a cold stormy afternoon &
 NO ONE
was around.


I took my camera so I could experiment with my photography.
 Stockton has lots of sand dunes, which are fantastic for 4wd adventures & sand boarding. It is one of Australia's longest beaches, stretching from Newcastle to Port Stephens, approx 30kms long if my memory serves me well.

Ive been learning lots of photography tricks from various blogs & web sites. This pic was done by experimenting with my shutter speed.


The Signa wreck is great for taking photo's of, my dream guy has taken some great pics here on nice sunny days


He took his fishing gear along to occupy himself, but the wind was to strong & the surf to rough to even get a bite!


He has a great set up for the back of his ute to make the whole experience fun...


This a photo looking thru the rear vision mirror on the ute.


Sunset is always pretty at Stockton Beach


We soon tired of the wind & decided to relocate, so we ventured into Newcastle harbour.


This is a picture of one of the numerous coal loaders, filling a ship at Walsh Point in Newcastle harbour. It is a huge industrial port.


These 2 pictures are of the same coal loader. I cant remember what they call this abstract style of photography
but, basically its just a long exposure & you move the camera around in all different directions for this fun effect!!!


All in all, we had a lovely relaxing evening, I took lots of photo's, experimenting with my aperture, shutter speed, white balnce & ISO settings. I have learn't so much about photography in the six months I have owned my camera & i cant wait to learn more! 
Even though my dream guy went home empty handed, he did have a story to tell about the one that got away, like a true fisherman always does, LOL!!!

Do you & your husband/partner have date nights ?

CHEERS
Trish xxx

 

8 comments:

lisa mae said...

cool cool cool photos i love them, i'vehad my camera for years and wish i knew more about it.........
good on you for taking the time to experiment.....
i'd like to have the opportunity more to have date nights our family who sometimes have zeke have just had a little baby of their own, yay for date nights xx

Jane said...

Cool photographic effects and the beach looks very moody and wintry! Date nights or even long weekends if you can wrangle them are purrfect!! Jane @ the girl in the brick house

Ez said...

Considering my guy and I dont need "date nights" as such yet, I would prob have to consider my nights with YOU to be my date nights.

I love nothing more then to cosy up in your arm chairs or on my couch and gossip our way through home decor mags ;-)

x

melli said...

cool photos'..i'm still learning new techniques on mine,looks like your getting a lot better at it since you got yours.hope you are well lovely:)xx

Laura said...

hi trish, you are picking up the tricks of the trade pretty quick and doing such a fab job!!! they look amazing - especially the abstract ones!!! youre so clever!!
No, we dont really do date nights ... every now and then we will have the day together and go and see a movie and have lunch or something. We have been together now for 19 years and maybe we take each other for granted a bit now... plus, i am not so good at night time! listen to me, i am like an old nanna!!! maybe i should shake things up a bit and step outside the box and do a date night!!!
hope you are enjoying the school hols!!!
hugs from laura xx

Laura said...

hi trish, you are picking up the tricks of the trade pretty quick and doing such a fab job!!! they look amazing - especially the abstract ones!!! youre so clever!!
No, we dont really do date nights ... every now and then we will have the day together and go and see a movie and have lunch or something. We have been together now for 19 years and maybe we take each other for granted a bit now... plus, i am not so good at night time! listen to me, i am like an old nanna!!! maybe i should shake things up a bit and step outside the box and do a date night!!!
hope you are enjoying the school hols!!!
hugs from laura xx

Jane said...

Hi Trish. I like your blog. Your photos are great. LOML and I do like to have little dates and we often go down to the bayside for fish and chips and a stroll along the waterfront. Jane x

Melinda said...

Great photos. We have date nights, but generally are too tired by the time they come around and drag ourselves out to dinner and a movie when we wish we could stay at home with the babysitter!

AddThis Smart Layers