Come on a journey of inspiration & adventure while renovate & restore a beautiful Victorian home 'St Elmo' in the picturesque Hunter Valley, Australia & laugh at a few of our family adventures along the way.




Saturday, February 12, 2011

Television Taboo

Master Bedroom traditional bedroom

I love how this TV is recessed into the wall, minimising its impact on the room.

Do you have a TV  in your bedroom?
 Its okay if you don't want to tell us, after all, it's certainly NOT a stylish design feature & apparently the dreaded black box messes with your sleep patterns.
This might explain MY poor sleeping habits as we could,nt live without one in our master bedroom. The dream guy & I have very different sleeping habits, so he will watch TV well into the night, whilst I rack up a fews zzzzz's & when he is on night shift I use it to drown out the little sounds that spook me in the night. I am a big fraidy cat!


Image via DIY Show off
Building a frame around your TV to make it look more like a piece of art certainly helps to reduce it visual impact on the room


I don't recall where I found this image, but  you can purchase a system like this where your favourite piece of art is mounted to a mechanical device that lifts up to reveal a TV that is recessed into the wall.


Another perfectly framed black box....


This one really does look classy....


The rest of this room is so stunning, I think you could have built a monkeys cage into the ever so stylish cabinetry & no one would care.

So.....
Do you have a television in the bedroom?
 Is it just cluttering up your tall boy like mine, or have you put the time into making it a stylish, yet somewhat camouflaged feature in your master suite or dare I say boudoir?
I have some wonderful plans for the TV in the master bedroom of my dream house....ssshhhh...don't tell my dream guy, I don't want to scare him, LOL, my ideas list that requires is fabulous handiwork is growing by the minute!!!

CHEERS
Trish xxx


5 comments:

Mimi said...

Hi Trish, I have to confess we do have a television in our bedroom on my beautiful Commode, I need to be more creative as where to place it. I too can't live without it. Enjoy your weekend. Mimi xx

Tina said...

Hi Trish. I have to say that hubby and I don't have a TV in our bedroom, however our older girls do have tv/dvd players in their rooms... hence we have to police the amount of use, but they are generally pretty good. I love the look of the TVs in your post that have frames around them, who would have thought!! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend so far ~ Txx

Unknown said...

Wow, those ways of disguising them are fantastic!
We used to have a tv in our room yrs ago which I wanted in there for the same reason as you, which was that Glen used to travel a lot and it would make me not nervous to go to sleep. But we haven't had one for about 4yrs. I miss it sometimes :)
Jxx

All things nice... said...

Trish,

Yes we're planning on having a tv in our room. I don't like them in bedrooms but my boyfriend wants one and as we are not living on the farmyard he needs to watch the cows calving at night- interesting viewing! My uncle has all his flat screen TVs with frames around them that he made himself and they look lovely. I think I will get him to make me one for my room too :) You have some lovely examples above :)
Thanks for sharing

All things nice...

Anonymous said...

This is a bit of a running joke beween hubby and me. You see, many years ago I watched an episode of 'Oprah' which discouraged television viewing in the bedroom because it has a negative impact on your sex life. Whenever I talk about how nice it would be to have a TV in the bedroom, hubby says, "Oprah says...". I'm glad we don't. If I watch TV in bed I dream about the last thing I watch...not good if it is action or violence!
X B

AddThis Smart Layers